[at-l] My first winter overnighter

Well, this qualifies as a sort of trip report, I guess.

I experienced my first overnighter in my tent (Walrus, Tunnel Vision) last
night.

Wisperlight and I took off yesterday for Dover Plains, NY -- about 8 miles
north of the Pawling RR crossing on the AT.  'Said our hello's to all the
folks and pets (!!) at the camp.  ('Love em all -- 2 black labs, 2 golden
retrievers, 2 adults, 3.9 kids [that's 3 kids and soon-to-be twins], and a
cat.)

We did some snowshoeing (my first time on 'em; Wisperlight had tried them at
least once before).  It was wonderful.  I had a great time.  We just walked
around the old camp that I used to be Director of and had a grand ol' time.
It was amazing to feel the texture and condition of the snow under your feet.
 The snowshoes really give a heightened awareness of what you are walking
on.... crystalized snow, heavily packed, pure powder, multi-layered, on duff,
on ice, etc.  Marvelous!

The most exciting thing for me was the tracks we kept seeing everywhere.   I
had seen bobcat and bear on the camp grounds this summer, and knew of coyote.
 But it is true what they say about winter outings -- you *do* encounter more
evidence of wildlife in winter than any other season.  We saw bobcat (and
myriad other animal) tracks everywhere we went.  We saw evidence of a number
of kills too.  Gruesome, yes, but fascinating.

We walked up to the alpine ski slope, the lake, the blast furnace, the field
and garden -- all on the camp's property.  (I took photos and will get em up
online when I get them developed).  The weather was mild and the skies clear.
 It was a great day for snowshoeing.   We got back after sunset.

Later in the night we did a little ramble around the camp -- enjoying the
light of a full moon on an expanse of white snow -- and heard the most
amazing chorus of coyote howling.  We were in awe of how closeby they
sounded.  It was eerie and wonderful, all at the same time.

('never did get the crosscountry skis or crampons out == we were quite
content to spend our time on snowshoes.)

As evening fell, we went to the lodge (first aid station for the camp) and
cooked dinner on the stove inside.  Wisperlight did not eat.  (Someone talk
to him about the merits of refueling!)  I, on the other hand, had a gourmet
meal of Liptons Noodles!  We had hot cocoa and then I retreated to my tent as
Wisperlight chose to bed down on the couch in the front room.  (I had pitched
the tent out in front of the lodge, with the aid of implements such as a
plastic cat litter container, rock and windshield wiper fluid bottle in lieu
of staking -- too much ice to penetrate for stakes to work.)

Wisperlight was kind enough not to laugh out loud at me, as Nanook, the
Eskimo, emerged in full fleece garb -- head to toe -- ready for the night's
assault on the cold.  It was 9:30PM when I hit the sleeping bag - - equipped
with a few "handwarmers" to aid me in keeping warm.  (Those who met me at the
Ruck probably know that I will get cold if you merely turn off the
incandescent bulb in the ceiling fixture.  I'm the penultimate winter weenie
wimp -- sorry GimmeChocolate, I *definitely* have you beat out when it comes
to "climate princess!")

I hunkered down in my 20* Campmor bag and silk liner, on top of my ensolite
and staytec thermarest pads.  As I crawled into my bag I was struck with how
easy this was.  I was comfortable and thinking this was going to be a piece
of cake.

It was glorious until about 1:30 AM when I awakened, shivering.  I pulled the
bag over my head and tried harder to sleep.  No such luck.  I did some
stretching and isotonic exercises in hopes of getting the ol' blood flowing
to increase heat production.  Still no luck.  I looked at my little Suunto
thermometer and found that it was 25* out -- no winds, at all.  I repeated
this action til about 4AM.  I'm sure that somewhere in those last 2 hours or
so, I got *some* sleep, but I also know that it was not much sleep.

(Ala JohnO, I even brought the thermometer inside the bag to check for
temperature so that I could a thorough report -- ahh, 'never had the presence
of mind to check it, however!  I know that JohnO would have checked
outside-the-tent temperature as well.  Hey, you get what you pay for.)  In my
bleary state I recognized that nature was calling and I made the decision
there and then, I was going inside to use the can and I was not coming back
outside!   It was 4:05 AM.  Winter 1, Trailmixup zip.

I slept indoors for another 4 hours (sagging mattress in a midlew-laden room
was still better than the bitter cold outside) and awakened feeling
completely whipped.  It was a rough night for me.  While 4 hours in the cold
was at least a partial victory, I also recognize that it was not a true
victory.  I had been indoors prior to going outside for the sleep; how would
I ever manage an overnighter on a trail where I would not have the warmth of
a cabin to emerge from (or more importantly, retreat to)?

I learned that I can at least *survive* outside with my gear, but I also
learned that I've got some tweaking to do to make this a workable situation.
I know that one needs to redefine what constitutes 'comfort,' but this was
more discomfort than I am able to handle.  'Need a heavier bag.  'Need more
than that.  (Would a bivy tent work better for me in winter?)

Wisperlight and I were talking about how one can acclimatize to the cold.  I
think that is a plan I'll have to look into.  You know -- at the start of
winter, fight the urge to don the sweater and turn up the thermostat.  Attune
the body better to the cold.  The funny thing is that in Denmark, when it
gets cold, the houses are traditionally colder and I manage just fine there.
It must be a different *kind* of cold; I don't know.

Anyway, we hit the trails again today.  Donned the snowshoes and headed out
for a quick tour of the lower regions of the camp.  It was an incredible day
for it.  Sun shining and no winds.  It was gorgeous.  Show me where I can
sign up for the winter daytime hiking thing.  I'm sold.  (I'll work on the
overnighter on the side.)

Left about 11:45 AM and returned home around 2 PM.  Watched some tv, caught a
few zzz's, caught up with my emails (only 100 since yesterday!)

End of trip report.

Trailmixup
aka Ice cube

Wisperlight, you gonna post a trip report, too?