RE: [at-l] No Bud for the Owen's

This reminds me of an observation I made in towns along the trail...  Coming
from an area that recycles almost everything from the curbside, I got the
strangest looks "down south" when I would repeatedly ask "Where's the
recycle bin?" if I had a can or bottle from soda that I was done with.

When my parents visited me along the trail in the Shenandoah and did a bit
of trail magic by handing out sodas and cookies, even they were frustrated
because all of the thruhikers would finish their sodas and immediately crush
the cans.  I think my parents finally told people to just give back the
empties so they could take them back to CT to be recycled.

Won't help in the west, but maybe the guide books for the AT could just have
a statement at the beginning of each state's segment telling whether or not
cans are returnable in that state.  I saw a lot of cans being tossed in the
northeast only because thruhikers had no idea they could be recycled (and
returned for deposit).

Mara - who takes out one bag of trash every two to three weeks.
Stitches, GAME99