Re: [at-l] Frye Notch, again

Ronald Moak wrote:

> Frye Notch is less noted for it's shelter than for the
> waterfalls along Frye Brook. The AT no longer runs along
> Frye Brook. I believe it was relocated back in '78.

Correct.

The shelter has been torn down, which is just as well
since it was only a quarter mile or so from the road.

> It's has a beautiful set of falls along the brook. Spent
> July 4, 1977 there splashing in the water. When back in
> '97 to hike the old now blue blaze trail (oh Me!). Along
> the trail we found some of the original 20 year old white
> blazes in perfect condition, the usual set of blue blazes
> and the only set of yellow blazes I've seen along the trail.

The yellow blazes only go to the top of the cataracts, which
is the official end to that trail now. The old A.T. is still
followed by a lot of hikers and fisherman, though, and is an
access path used by the MATC. Since it's no longer maintained
beyond the cataracts, the trail is terribly eroded where it
rises up toward Little Baldpate.

> It's the only time I've ever yellow blazed along the AT
> without getting into a car or walking on a highway. Just
> a bit of useless trivia.

Ah, but it ain't the Appalachian Trail no more. Damned
shame, too. The old curmudgeon in the pith helmet is
absolutely correct.

Adios,
MF