No Subject

From: "bakwudz" <bakwudz@email.msn.com>

Hi gang--

A few months ago I asked if anyone knew of a place to chat up some
backpacking--there wasn't much of a response.  After extensive searching,
I have come to the realization that no one had an answer because there
simply weren't any places to go!
   That tyrant in charge of a certain other list used to have a great
chat room on his site, but closed it down (even though it was being used
on a regular basis).  I know that quite a few people were a bit ticked
off (I was one of them!).
   Anyway, I decided to try my hand at creating a page with a chat room
for all of us to use--please bear in mind that I am far from being an
expert with HTML, so it is very basic.  However, it is a quality chat
arrangement, and I will see how it goes.
   I think that there is enough traffic on the list, especially questions
about gear, etc. that would support the idea of being able to communicate
in real time.  Heck, JohnO has bought enough gear in the last few months
to have a weekly chat seminar!  <g>  By the way, anyone who is on the
AT-L, feel free to let those listers know about this (Kahley?  You still
an AT-L'er?)
   Now--I just got this thing off the ground tonight, and it is a bit
late to try to draw a crowd, so how about this: anyone interested in
checking out the chatroom, I will be hosting the debut chat tomorrow
(Saturday, 2/19) night at 7pm EST.....please feel free to join me.  Here
is the URL:   http://members.xoom.com/bakwudz/bpchat.htm
   All you need to do is wait for the page to load completely, then type
in a username (anything), and click on connect.  No password is needed,
and you don't need to join anything.  You do need Java, however.
   Well, that's it!  Sorry this post was so long, and I hope that I have
not offended anyone with this idea--I really think that it will be useful
and fun.

-bakwudz

Tom Willcox