[at-l] South Carolina, you got a weight on your shoulder......

From:    "David S. Hays, O.D." <dhays@USWEST.NET>
Hi Paul, ###who posted on various protest methods...
> As a community of runners, I was just wondering how you folks felt about
> this controversy. Evidently, it has been hotly debated elsewhere in
> cyberspace this week.

I think that flying the Confederate flag is foolish.  While I can understand
the argument, sometimes genuine and probably more often disingenuous, that
the Confederate flag reflects a part of SC's history and heritage, I think
the price SC pays is too high.  While the Civil War was more about economic
independence and state's rights than it was about slavery, that fact has
been lost on us over the years.  To many, the Confederate flag is a symbol
of racism and bigotry.   This is a case where perception becomes reality.

###### And TMc throws in with:
1) The CSA "Battle Flag" appeared over the South Carolina state capital dome thirty-five years ago as part of the state's response to the "Negro's" Civil Rights Movement — a movement to rightfully accord blacks a full measure of human rights entitled them by law. It's appearance is entirely racist, segregationist, hostile, and rude; it is *not* a matter of a cultural or "state's rights" symbol coopted by the bad guys. This fact seems entirely forgotten.

2) As noted by Paul Loucks, there are plenty of *marvelously* creative ways to show your dissatisfaction with South Carolina's stand, including economic boycotting of future events, without potential participants' sacrificing the women's Olympic Marathon qualifying event. This is a 35 year old offense, and not an issue where timeliness should have such an impact on a race who's placement was entirely accidental. But like David Hays said, the price for SC is, or will be, high.

Short-n-sweet.
Back to lurkerdom.
TMc in Indy

cc: AT list, just 'cause hikers should have an opportunity to vent, too.

ORN: I DID!!! I DID!!! 3 miles! 1 warm-up on some X-training beast, 1 @ 6:40, 1 @ 6:25. Aerobic conditioning shot, but the arms were pumping, so this XTraining rot is having *some* effect, at least.

Obligatory Pack Testing Note: I'll probably return the Lowe "HyperPacker" this weekend. In limited trials against Betsy (26 years and 3300 miles old), Betsy seems to be "walking away." Will probably order the 12 oz GvP4 this weekend. Yummy.  Details on Monday.

NP: Grateful Dead, once again!!!! Help is on the way. (Thank goodness.)