Re: [at-l] Define Pre-Existing

It is interesting to follow the changes in cars. Back in '93 the focus was
on rich and evil docs, driving Ferrari's and soaking the public. Back then
I drove a 90 Sable. Today I drive either an 89 Volvo or a 74 Bug (guess the
color).

The problem is the intrusion of profit motive into my profession, and the
corruption of all that touches. When profits belong to stock holders of
hospital companies, insurance companies, home health care industries,
pharmaceutical companies, et al, we start hearing of patients becoming
"hospital days", "covered lives," "consumers," "profit centers," and
"clients." It is a damn good reason to take to the woods, at least for this
doc. It helps me avoid the rage I feel when a patient has to choose between
food and medicine, or when I am accused of corruption when I accept
medication samples and the occasional free dinner. (I've never seen the
trips to resorts that ABC-News reported last night.)

I don't know what the solution will be, only that the easy solutions
offered stink of someone else out to game the system. Enjoy your hikes and
think toward the elections.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA