RE: [at-l] Frye Notch, again

In '77 the DOC refused to paint the AT with white blazes. So between Hanover
and the Whites we followed their orange and black blazes. As they were
painted completely around the tree, they were somewhat ugly looking.

I image they still use them on some trails although I didn't see any in '97.
The yellow (2" by 6") blazes seen along Frye Brook were completely
different. They were painted just like the normal AT blaze. Blaze painted
for show shoe or cross country ski trails are generally painted higher on
the tree trunks.

Since these blazes were only on a short distance of the trail close to a
road I doubt that was there purpose. Just one of life's little oddities.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000