Re: [at-l] Health Insurance Revisited Again For the Second Time

How about all the at-l folks start our own self-insurance kitty, with
those who are heading off on a hike, and are currently or soon to be
uninsured sending in, say, 5% of their hiking-budgeted money to whoever
is designated as a money-manager. The principal collected could be
invested in something safe, but liquid, and a low deductible could be
stipulated, say 150-300 $, so that a rash of ER visits wouldn't wipe out
the fund. So if the average hiker-budget is $1000, including both
through and section hikers, and 100 people sent in $50, that $5000 would
go a long way towards helping the one or two folks who might need a
night or two in hospital. I guess it would be more like an
insurance-lottery, with first-injured collecting first, given the high
cost of medical treatment, but I'd be willing to chip in $50, once the
pawn shop lets me have my cell-phone back so I can call my bookie...

Al