[at-l] trangia...again

KK wrote:

>>>   Can someone who has actually taken the Trangia on a Thru-hike please =
answer the following questions for me:

1.) How much fuel did you carry? I know that it burns cooler than a =
white-gas stove, so I probably need more fuel, right?   <<<

generally, 16oz or less, especially on the AT where resupply is more
frequent.  the most i have carried was in the high sierra on the PCT for an
8 day stretch, with two of us using the stove.  32 oz, and had some left
over.  btw, how much you use the stove obviously dictates how much fuel: we
would have a hot drink every morning, sometimes oatmeal, a one-pot hot meal
in the evening, followed by hot drink.  that's a lot of use.

>>>   2.) Did you EVER have problems finding fuel? If so, where?   <<<

not on the AT in new england (the only extended use on the AT for me).
tuolumne meadows on the PCT only had isopropyl, and that works ok.  you need
more isopropyl than denatured.  most gas stations sell 12oz containers of
gas line cleaner (i think) - look on the contents label, it's usually
naptha.  this is excellent fuel, tho more expensive than denatured.  NEVER
get anything that says "CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILATES" - some paint thinners
have petroleum distillates.  it burns very hot and very greasy and very
sooty, and difficult to put out.

>>>   3.) Where would you buy alcohol for the stove in the towns? The gas =
station? The outfitter? I always buy it at the hardware store, but I'm =
thinking most trail towns probably don't have a big hardware store.   <<<

usually hardware store, sometimes outfitter (more expensive), sometimes drug
store, sometimes gas station (see above - i highly recommend you go to a gas
station NOW, find the product, test it - that way you'll know what you're
looking for on the hike).  most markets will have isopropyl (also recommend
some test burning of isopropyl, so you know how it differs from denatured).

as for a trail name, with your initials of "KK", how about "Harvey"?
(ask felix)

mike
ke kaahawe
AT92  TYT94  PCT/2 99