Re: [at-l] History of the Thru-Hiker Guide's

>>And there were things that predated 1980. In DWG, I got a two page
>>mimeographed copy (remember those machines?) of (what I recall was titled)
>>The Philosopher's Guide (though I could be wrong on that one) <<

The Original PG was called the "bootleg guide." The story from the author
himself (from the last PG edition):

"In August 1980, four soon-to-be-accomplished thru-hikers were sauntering
along a tote road in Maine, discussing the need for a guide to be written
for future thru-hikers, on guide with the "inside" scoop on what the AT is
really like, and with helpful hints and advice on how best to succeed. The
name proposed for this was "The Bootleg Guide." That Autumn, I - being one
of the four and somehow elected - put together such a guide. For two years,
the Guide was a rough and ready affair, photocopied to order by the
volunteers at the Appalachian Trail Conference. Then, in 1983, ATC began
formally recognizing and officially printing the Guide, so it ceased being
"bootleg." Only the name, however, has changed. I have losened no straps.
This is the only ATC publication to admit that it really does rain on the
AT. ....." -- Darrell Maret "The Philosopher"