Re: [at-l] Short-term health insurance?

Well said. There have been problems with some HMO's and PPO's of refusing
to pay Emergency Room visits for failure to obtain prior approval, even in
the event of trauma or loss of consciousness. This creates havoc for the
facilities and for the patients.

The idea of a high deductible insurance is an excellent idea. One means is
via a Medical Savings Account (sort of like an IRA), or by purchasing
basically a catastrophic coverage policy, and plan on having access to $10K
or so before coverage kicks in. These policies typically allow you to do
your own management, rather than a clerk a Drop Dead Reviewers, Inc. While
DDRI can save some money for the insurer, it is nice to know that your care
is based on your needs, and not on the harassment of your doc by the clerk.

Often folks can find short term catastrophic coverage through alumni
associations and the like. Rarely will COBRA offer to change coverage
options, even for higher deductibles - the idea is to get rid of the person
wanting COBRA coverage.

BTW, I just received 90+ messages from the list after over a day's silence.
I'm finally getting something!

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA