[at-l] packweight PS

BTW, I lightened up because I had to. I am not a big, strong 19-year-old
guy, and I just can't carry bigger weights and hike reasonable
distances. The first year I was out, I carried 37-42# through
southwestern and Central VA. Thought I was going to die. I mean I was
struggling to make 10 miles a day. The next year I went out carrying
29-32# and made it from Springer to Hot Springs in less than three
weeks. I was in better shape, certainly, but the reduced pack weight
made the real difference. Now my pack weight with food and water amounts
to one-sixth to one-fifth of my body weight. No problem, although I am
still not a fast hiker. Ask Datto.

Chocolate