Re: [at-l] gimme

kahley7 wrote:

> your gear list GMC....please?
> You go as light as any woman I know...
> Will you dump your pack?  Purty please???

Well, here's a re-hash from a post form a year and a half ago. At that
point, I had 16# base weight (without food and water). I continue to
lighten up, but this will give you the idea without me running through
every item...

Because no one will carry my exact combination of gear, I'll relate how
I got to this weight and what kinds of things I am--and am
not--carrying.  YMMV.  Warning: This post may be longer than my packing
list.  Hit "delete" now if not interested.

First, I figured I had to deal with THE BIG STUFF.
My pack, tent, pad, and bag weigh in under 9#.
PACK - Kelty Brisbane internal, extends to 3,000 cu. in., makes me be
careful when packing. (But everything fits inside, even when I did fall
hiking into The Gathering.)
TENT - Eureka! Gossamer.  It's 2.5#, and I love it.  With its mesh body,
it's great for buggy nights. (I'm such a magnet that I really need a
tent rather than a tarp.) The integral flies have also served me well in
the wildest of storms. Don't bother with a ground cloth to save weight.
PAD - My Thermarest ultralight did not work for me on shelter floors. I
have a bad back, so I now use and love a 63" Artiarch skin mat.  It
weighs 1#10oz and is the most comfortable mat I've ever slept on.  To
save room in my pack, I removed the back pad and fold my skin mat in its
place.  That also saves the weight of its stuff sack.  (Hey, to get to
16# or less, EVERYTHING counts.)
BAG - For comfort, weight, and compression, I use a 20* down bag.

Then it was time to start sweating THE SMALL STUFF.  I began by looking
for unnecessary or redundant items.  I also gave up on luxuries.
My entire KITCHEN weighed 1#4oz and fit inside a cheap, light metal
billy pot in a small stuff sack.  It consisted of an old butane stove
and one canister of fuel, cap removed; matches; square of netting; cheap
metal spoon that feels like cardboard. I gave up my pot grabber and used
foil as a lid and wind screen. Now I'm lightening up with an Esbit and a
titanium pot. No cup.  My water bag is a wine box liner that I carry in
an open mesh bag that doubles as bear bag.  A Platypus hoser rides in a
side pocket.  I use iodine instead of carrying a filter.

I carry a combined medical/personal/emergency KIT that weighs 10oz,
maybe a little less. Among other things, it contains duct tape wrapped
around a dowel to reduce size.
Other than that, I have TP, but gave up tissues and my camp towel. As
replacements, I cut a bandanna in quarters.  One quarter is my
handkerchief, and the other, complete with a little alligator clip sewn
to one corner, is my towel.  The other two quarters--see, I do math--are
waiting at home for another trip. I ditched my big Swiss Army knife in
favor of the mini pocket model. I also carried a mini-mag flashlight
with a jak strap, but may now go to a Photon. The flashlight has fresh
batteries, so I can do without spares.
I carry minimal paperwork in a light, zip-top pencil pouch. No
recreational reading material, but I do carry a small camera with one
roll of film at a time. A little line (actually, dental floss works well
for many applications...) I do still have some weight in liquids.  I am
carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer (in place of soap, and it also
has first aid uses) and some sunscreen and insect repellent.

CLOTHES
I hike in shorts and a synthetic T, and for camp and sleep I carry
lightweight synthetic pants (or tights) and shirt (or longjohn top).
Also have changes of socks and underwear (rather than extra shorts), a
light windbreaker or rainjacket, and cap. Fleece, etc., when necessary.
Balaclava and gloves when the weather is cold. I do bring camp sandals,
but my knock-off's are almost light enough to float. And I carry clip-on
sunglasses as well.

I think that's about it.  I carry no more than a week's worth of food at
a time, less when it's easy to resupply.

As you can see, I carry some things (tent, nice pad) that others may
not. It's a matter of making appropriate decisions for yourself. Any
questions?
Give Me Chocolate