[at-l] Symbolism over Substance?

At 12:40 PM 2/12/00 -0500, Coosa wrote:
>Thank you to all who have enlightened me about the 2000-Miler patch and
>rocker.

<snip>

> Anyone can "say" they're a
>ThruHiker -- anyone can wear a ThruHiker/2000-Miler patch (and rocker, I
>suppose)  -- and if they say it outside of the Trail Community, which may or
>may not be able to document the truth, then it doesn't matter?

Yes, kids, there once was/is a large radio/TV commentator who would chime
in with "symbolism over substance" at least once a show to prove his point.
 So is that what we've come down to here?  Is thiis mythical legion of
non-purist fakers out there getting paid large sums for their misstated
deeds?  Methinks not.  So who cares about patches, earned or purchased?
This isn't the military: you don't have to salute.
The Wizard!  Taking his time getting there...