Re: [at-l] Re: purity

In a message dated 2/13/00 9:19:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, SaraSW@aol.com
writes:

> I guess as with buying a fake Rolex...

A false analogy to me, a non-materialist.  I buy generic stuff all the time
because of my legendary frugality.  I have the means to acquire a Rolex, but
don't wish to.  I do wish to come by that little rocker by honest means.
That a person aspires to a real Rolex indicates an entirely different value
from our tiny rocker which by shallow comparison is free.  At some shallow
level the analogy holds, but I fail to see how the fakery issue for those who
would have the symbol without the work illuminates the value of the rocker
for those who are willing to do what it takes to acquire it honestly.  A
person could have the burning desire to earn the rocker for entirely private
reasons and not wish display it as a status symbol.  I suppose it is possible
for a Rolex owner to feel the same way, but the underlying value would, by my
standards, still be rather shallow.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear
(with Rolex-sized child support obligations to an ex-wife with materialist
values)