Re: [at-l] Catskills

In a message dated 02/11/2000 7:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pmags@juno.com writes:

<< If I remember, the climb up Slide is somewhat steep, but very nice.
 Should be a nice winter hike. Wonder if you will need snowshoes, though?
 Didn't that area get socked with snow?  Breaking trail is hard enough w/
 snowshoes, never mind w/o >>

    As one who has climbed all 35 Catskill peaks, I would say that Slide is
one of the easiest, if done from the western side (Slide Mountain Road).  It
is not exceptionally steep compared to other Catskill peaks.  It is also
probably the most climbed of all the Catskill peaks, so you will usually
encounter a packed-down trail to the top.

    Yes, it certainly can snow heavily in the Catskills.  Although I have not
been up there for several weeks, I understand that there was as much as two
feet of snow up there recently.  So I would definitely advise taking
snowshoes and perhaps crampons, too.

    The eastern side of Slide, leading down to the Cornell-Slide col, has
some`very steep sections, including a few vertical descents of about 6-8
feet.  This is quite tricky with packs even in perfect conditions, and is
extremely difficult in the winter, especially going down.  I would not
recommend this part of the trail for a winter backpacking trip.

        Daniel Chazin
        Teaneck, NJ