Re: [at-l] ATML-- and ALDHA/ATC

Coosa wrote:

> Duh?  You stick that flag on a pole, and I'll salute it --
> I wasn't talking about YOUR personal flag that you own, the
> Concept of the American Flag and what it stands for belongs
> to us ALL.

The flag is a universally recognized symbol of the United
States. Beyond that, each person's concept of what flag
represents is unique. There is no shared concept that "belongs
to us all." Were this not true, there would not be a move
afoot to codify into law a particular concept of the flag
that holds it quasi-sacred (and that also makes it impossible
for me to truly own one as personal property).

[...]

> You gonna help us build the shelter?

No.

> So, you may have  a piece of fabric that is red-white-and-blue,
> but the concept it stands for and what it represents is not your
> personal property.....

Correct, but though it may not be personal property, my
concept of what the flag stands for is also *mine*, and
your or anyone else's concept of the flag should in no way
restrict how I use or dispose of that particular piece of
my property.

[...]

Adios,
MF