Re: [at-l] purity...& patches

Thank you to all who have enlightened me about the 2000-Miler patch and
rocker.

I'm heartbroken to a degree, disappointed, depressed, sorrowful.  It's as if
a family member has died and I've found out that I wasn't included in the
will.  Wasn't even notified of the funeral.

So why bother then?  Why not just 'say' you've hiked?  Why am I fighting for
honesty when it appears it doesn't even matter?  Anyone can "say" they're a
ThruHiker -- anyone can wear a ThruHiker/2000-Miler patch (and rocker, I
suppose)  -- and if they say it outside of the Trail Community, which may or
may not be able to document the truth, then it doesn't matter?  It's a
status symbol -- like TNF on your Goretex?  And it can be claimed in the
Trail Community, too, and with all the books available, one could even
describe the trail -- watch a movie, etc. and 'know' about it.

So people like the dancer who have a website, raised a lot of money (hey
let's hit him up for a large donation for the Garvey Shelter), got publicity
for ThruHiking SoBo this year, but who we all (or those of us who care about
honesty in reporting one's accomplishments on the Trail) know did NOT hike
every stepbystep of the Trail, can commercialize their alleged hike and call
themselves ThruHikers?

So, it doesn't matter, except as Felix said in effect:  I do it for ME, not
for the ATC or anyone else.

Then I should just sit down, shut up, and let my bloodpressure return to
normal, not fight for honesty in reporting one's AT milage, and go buy and
wear a 2000-Miler patch and rocker and ThruHiker patch?

Yes, I am depressed -- so depressed that I'm not going to read any more of
today's email -- I think I'll go drown my sorrows somewhere --

The question is:   Why even bother with the thing?

If and when I get to thruhike, I think I will do so under an assumed Trail
Name, not let anyone know who I am, not report it on the web or in email or
even a journal for others to read, and definitely never bother with getting
a patch -- I'll be doing it because it's there (I can see the mountains that
the Trail is on from my yard) -- but for now, why am I even bothering to
section hike it? -- and right at THIS minute, I don't know if the numbers
"xx" after one's Trail or Elist Name mean anything at all -- anyone can say
they've ThruHiked -- the actual accomplishment is demeaned by the lack of
integrity of those who want the prestige without the pain/sweat.

Now, I'm leaving to find something to drown my sorrowful head in,
this is NOT tongue in cheek, I am truly upset at this very minute -- I am
expressing my pain to my friends, can you hear
Howling in emotional pain at this moment WimperWolf