Re: [at-l] Cleaning my backpack

"The Weathercarrot" <weathercarrot2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The key to a non-smelly backpack (and any synthetic fibers for that matter):
> Sublimation. If you let it sit unworn long enough, the smell will go away
> (sometimes replaced by other smells, but not body odor). What to do when in
> use? Nothing. just a thought... :)

Apparently the half-life of my body odor is longer than four
months.

My Gregory Shasta needs to be repaired after my thru-hike. They
will warrant it, however I did not want to ship them the toxic
pack that I carried the end of my trip. It really smelled -
even though I washed it and sun-dried it in the shower in Vermont...

It's been hanging in my garage airing out. It still smells so
bad that the dog won't even go out there any more.

I noticed that the smell transferred back and forth between
me and the pack as I wore it, got sweaty, dried out, repeat.

Another hiker actually made me move it at a hostel because
she was unable to sleep with my pack within 8 feet of her
head...

-Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME
http://paddler99.trailstories.com