[at-l] Town maps in the Companion, GPS of the Trail

It has been a while since I have contributed to the list, but I had to
comment on TenToes mention of the town maps in the Companion. For the
past two years I have been working on those maps so they would include
scale. All the maps were created from publicly produced GIS (Geographic
Information Systems) data by states and the US Government. I used GIS
software to calculate the scale. The locations represented on the maps
were supplied by the field editors and were based om what I could figure
out sitting in front of my computer. Therefore, if anyone believes the
map locations are off, please drop me a line and I will try to
investigate it further.
	Basically, maps were done if I had enough information to produce one.
It had nothing to do with copying other guidebooks. So, if any of you
feel a map is missing that should be in there let me know. I think we
will include new maps, but I also need the time to make them.
	On the GPS subject, Del Doc collected the data, but they have a GIS
Analyst who converts the data into a map format. As of right now the
position is vacant? and be advertised for. Unfortunately, the pay
offered does not cover my education and tru-hiking loans, therefore
preventing me from applying for my dream job :(
Tom
Cough Drop
95/96