[at-l] purity...

I have posted my thoughts on "hike-your-own-hike" before, but not for a long
time.  I once wrote that hiking past every white blaze is hiking someone
elses idea of what your hike should be, thus NOT "hiking-your-own-hike".  I
put it something like "We hike in an effort to get away from a life where we
are told what to do, then we follow the white blazes, which is someones
elses idea of where we are to hike".  Keep in mind, I fully intend someday
to hike the "every white blaze" hike, I just find the "purity" issue to be
somewhat ironic, for it seems to fly in the face of why we are really out
here (please read this as "my opinion only")...

Recently I read Nimblewill Nomads journal that is on the internet for all to
see.  http://www.nimblewillnomad.com  He is a terrific writer, and expresses
things in such poetic ways.  For those of you who do not know, Nimblewill
Nomad hiked in 1998 from Florida to Canada, along a variety of existing and
planned trails.  The journal entry below - which just floored me when I read
it - and reread it - is of his first day on the Appalachian Trail, after
having already hiked 89 days and 1355 miles to get himself to Northern
Georgia.  The last bit of hiking prior to gaining the Appalachian Trail was
bushwacking on a portion of the Pinhoti Trail that has not yet been
constructed.  He relied on roughly marked maps, a compass, and his abilities
honed from years of hiking.  His journal entry follows my signature...

I have not sought Nimblewill Nomads permission to post this here, but I have
given him full credit for writing it, and have provided you with the URL in
which his journal is posted.  I believe I have covered my butt (and you
should be glad that I did)...

pittsburgh

Eb Eberhard, Nimblewill Nomad

Monday-March 30, 1998
Trail Day-89/1
Trail Mile-1355

I'm having much difficulty adjusting to marked trail again.  I've become
accustomed to seeing no blazes, but rather to the need for being constantly
tuned to compass bearings and contour changes.  My map and compass were my
guide, telling me where to head, which way to literally blaze the trail.
Now I need no focus, no concentration...for there is the path, like the
yellow brick road!  What effort does it take to stay on a path so beaten
down, the task presented being no more than to spot the bright white blazes
painted on near every tree?  If I want to know my location now, I simply
take my map and compass and look back to see where I've been!  This passive
exercise requires no alertness.  There is no need for skills that have been
honed to proud fineness, no need for keenness of senses, no awareness
required here!  What has replaced this constant drama, the excitement and
the unknown of it, is nothing more than a resigned reenactment of someone
else's trailblazing creativity, someone who passed this way many years ago.
Here's a whole different rhythm, for now all that needs be done is to simply
fill in the dots!  Have I become just a blunt-headed pencil, drawing so many
lines?