Re: [at-l] gear advice

I've heard about him too.  Don't remember the guy's name, but the cat was
named Ziggy.  He let Ziggy out to kill mice in the shelters, supposedly.
I'm guessing that Ziggy was a small cat.  Unfortunately my two are, well,
as I wrote before, splendid.  And they're not too used to the outdoors (the
bigger one is scared of noises, the "little" one likes to chase cars--so
they stay as apartment cats right now since I'm on a busy street).

	My cats are going to be hard to leave behind because they're being taken
care of by a friend who is very good with animals but really wants them to
be outdoor cats (hard to find people to take care of animals around here,
even for money--everyone who loves animals already has tons, the rest are
allergic or don't want).
	We've a high mortality rate for cats (otherwise known as gourmet meals for
fisher cats and coyote).  If you don't get them in by dusk, they're
invariably gone.  I know folks who lose a cat a year that way.  I'd be
devastated to lose mine--they are my closest family and have been a source
of unconditional love for the last 7 years since my boyfriend died.  I get
a little teary eyed at times about the possibility.  But I'm trying to be
optimistic--she's being paid so that's an incentive to be extra careful; my
cats will love being outdoors--they're very bored inside this tiny
apartment--and they'll be living in an apple orchard with a dog and a bunny.
	keep your fingers crossed.

You can train a cat the same way you do a dog--keeping in mind that cats
are NOT pack animals.  They reason--you have to give them two options and
make one less favorable than the other.  But I've friends who have taken
their cats everywhere with them from kittenhood--so the cats are perfectly
fine going on walks, car rides etc.  I used to actually walk my younger one
on a leash when she was a kitten--we'd stroll around the senior citizens'
housing complex and everyone got a real kick out of seeing her.
Unfortunately, cat walking is not the same as dog walking--be prepared to
stroll, stop, crouch, leap, wash, stroll again--something like that.
		EJ