Re: [at-l] Re: Miscommune e-cation

At 11:53 PM 2/9/00 EST, DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
>Just to dispell any initial misunderstandings of my post -
>
>I was trying out a new technique of using CAPS instead of just assuming
>someone got my inflection or tone. It didn't mean I was feeling venomous.
>Just meant I was trying to avoid someone misinterpreting my email.
>Apparently that method doesn't worth either :)

There are numerous methods of adding emphasis in e-mail CAPS being one. CAPS can be interpreted as the e-quivalent of SHOUTING so it upsets or offends some people. The e-mphasis trick that I usually use is *asterisks* around the word I want to emphasize. I've never gotten any negative feedback about my habit (anyone want to relieve some repressed annoyance over it?). I've seen other symbols like -hyphens- and such. Some folks resort to color, underlining, italics or bold type but these don't always come through if the recipient's mail program isn't compatible with these effects as those with incompatible programs will note upon receiving this.

>I wasn't pointing to ANYONE in particular - just the general things I
>gathered from some of the posts, and my thoughts. I'm beginning to think
>that expressing my thoughts here is not a good idea. No one seems to
>understand what I'm saying.

We try to understand Red, just as you try to be clear. It's tough when there's no sly grin to tell us our leg is being pulled or scowl to let us know who's really annoyed. Keep on trying and so will we.

Saunterer * From the AT-L | Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html *