RE: [at-l] On Line AT-Guide

At 12:20 AM 2/10/00 -0500, Walt Daniels wrote:
> but my understanding of copyrights say that
>> facts (of
>> which distances and places names) certainly are aren't copyrightable
>> material - that would have to be some type of "creative work".
>
>I am not a lawyer, but there are lots of suits and proposed laws (even
>international) trying to protect data more than current laws do.

True but there's data and there's facts. If you're a business you have all
sorts of data that you developed as part of your business. That's
proprietary data. It can come from research or surveys or even compiled
from public sources. Data you develop  you own. Data you compile from
public sources, *in it's compiled form*, you own. The distance from one
trailhead to another, or to a shelter, or a spring, or whatever, you can't
own anymore than you can own the statement that leaves are green. It's more
than data, it's a fact. Facts can't be individual property.

Saunterer