Re: [at-l] Re: Online AT guide

The absolute beauty, in my mind, of an ultimate thru hikers guide - is that
it would be for all of use, whether thruhiking or not.  The good point has
been brought up that a lot of the info would be more obviously useful to a
section hiker as opposed to the thru hiker.  The other good point was that as
a thru hiker, do you really want to waste hours - or an entire day - just
because you didn't KNOW that (fill in - the  post office closed early on
Weds, or was miles from the trail, or the place you sent your mail drop was
actually shut down last year, and probably at your home as returned mail as
you speak - or as you were wanting those damn (fill in again - batteries -
sections of your Companion, shampoo, contacts, film, etc.) <g>).  Seems to me
that there is NO worrying about "ruining" your experience on the Trail.  No
matter how much you know, or how much you've read ALL the books you can find
on OTHER peoples experience on the Trail, YOUR experience will be just that.
And as it was pointed out, you don't HAVE to look at the book, or the
webpage.  If you really want it to be that much of a mystery - just don't
look.  If you didn't want advance info on what to expect, odds are you
wouldn't belong to a list like this.  And Kahley has a big point - listers
cover all the states the Trail goes thru.  We all seem to have some section
of the Trail we consider "ours".  If you get the maintaining clubs involved -
all the better.  It can't but help attract volunteers - how many people hike
the Trail for day hikes or weekend hikes, and love it, but have no clue about
the whole AT community?  If they knew, they might be out there volunteering
*their* time too.  It was a shock to me to find out the wonderful Trail I
loved was maintained by volunteers.  And yet it doesn't go the leap to
advertise the Trail, either.  We aren't asking for people to find out about
it and start hiking.  They most likely won't find the website or buy the book
if they weren't already interested, so we aren't courting a whole new batch
of folks with tales of the Trail.

Regardless of where it goes, I have to say this.  OUR list has had a positive
impact on a lot of people.  And regardless of aspirations cast on OUR
character (because contrary to popular belief, the WF thread is NOT one way),
The Ruck is a prime example of how this little ole group of hikers got
together and did something good for the Trail community.  We ARE a family.
We ARE the campfire.  And we CAN make a difference.

So - the point?  It isn't about disspelling the mystique of the Trail, or
ruining someones surprises, or competing with existing resources.  It's about
a resource that is wanted and needed.  And whether we as a group get
involved, or whether our lurking lister partner does it on his own, is up to
him, and us.

The Redhead