[at-l] Is there room for an ultimate Thru-Hikers Guide??

> * Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
> * by our guest Eric Cole <PAAThiker@aol.com>.
> * Please use <mailto:PAAThiker@aol.com> to reply to the sender.
>
> As a lurker on the list I have read some threads about several Thru-Hiking
guides and Handbooks some not available and some (in some peoples
opinion)good but not needed on the trail. In 13 years I have hiked all of
the AT except for about 230 miles in different states from VA. to ME. and
have used nothing but the publised state guides and maps. Most of the data
was helpful but alot of it was flat out wrong probably the reason being the
editorial was several years out of date. I have recently read several other
publications and each have there strengths and weeknesses.

> As the owner of a publishing firm (we write and publish automotive and
aircraft technical manuals)and a lover of hiking and the AT I have tasked my
editorial management staff with an estimate of time and page count to create
what I call an Ultimate Thru-Hikers Guide to the A.T.

> The time to create from scratch and edit came to @4000 editorial hours (3
editors 10 months field work and writing) which is expensive but not a
problem. The real problem would be page count. We estimate that the bound
book would be 1,280 pages which could possibly hinder anyone from carrying
it on the trail. We are currently looking at ways to trim page count (type
face, paper stock, etc.), but before I undertake this project (it would be
in print for a 2001 thru-hike) I thought that I should de-lurk and see what
you all (my peers) would think.