Re: [at-l] Is there room for an ultimate Thru-Hikers Guide??

In a message dated 02/09/2000 11:00:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bennettk@wfu.edu writes:

<< >You know, here's a passing thought.  Has anyone ever considered the idea
of
 >taking a project like this online?  We could certainly distribute the
 >research, there are enough people out there who know their areas of the
 >trail well enough and could supply far more insightful info than the
 >guidebooks normally do (a la this list).  We'd be able to update in real
 >time, would never have to worry about publishing costs, or when it "comes
 >back from the printer".  We'd also be able to take just the areas we need
 >for a certain hike, and print the relevant material (card stock, or small
 >print on paper or something).

 We could also make it available to download to something like a Palm Pilot.
 I realize that this may awaken the slumbering technology thread beast, but
 I am quite addicted to my Pilot, and I am considering all it's possibilties
 for long-distance hiking. I will be using it this summer on a month-long
 driving trip out West, and the amount of information that I can get in it
 is quite astonishing. (Hotel and restaurant lists for every stop,
 directions, phone numbers, park info, hiking trails, points of interest,
 etc. I can leave all the large guidebooks at home.) You can also get a
 PocketMail attachment for a Pilot, and use it for email on the road.

 Ken

Without a doubt I like this idea butwe also believe that the printed word
will never go away. I would have no problem with making data available online
but it appears that most individuals use printed guides and maps therefor
that is where our focus is right now.

Bad Ankles