Re: [at-l] WF

I was going to respond privately, but....thought all might benefit.

>>> "Marielle & Paul" <hikers99@yahoo.com> 02/08/00 01:03AM >>>
What a bunch of mean spirited posts about Wingfoot.

One of the reasons I joined both lists was to keep in touch with what was
going on with trail people. Instead I find the real world is here too.
Pa of Ma & Pa AT'99

####
1) Sorry. I'm saddened by your (legitimate) reaction.
2) Speaking for myself, I see him doing something bad to something I hold dear, and I am not acting out of meanness.
3) Occasionally, I DO see, in the interests of brevity, "meanness," and when I do see it, I try to...minimize it — or at least channel it.
4) For your part, I would ask that you keep an open mind — there are *real* wrongs going on here, by Bruce, unprovoked, that are casting an increasingly large shadow on the resource and the community he claims to represent. If you think someone's "going off" on him without cause, tell them so privately, and ask them why. There are a lot of people who've just given up "telling their story" — if pressed, most *will* tell. If you wish to judge them harshly after that, then at least you're doing so better informed.
5) Most important: Please don't let this intrude on the meaning or impact of your throughhike. You've accomplished a tremendous and wonderful thing. THAT is Truth to hold close and personal. What you're hearing is noise about others' image of the AT and distance hiking — it's very important, but it's NOT your PERSONAL hike. Hold that hike dear.

Sloetoe'79