There's an elephant in the room. was Re: [at-l] cross post by permission

>>> "KC" <wareagle@ioa.com> 02/07/00 06:38PM >>>
This is NOT meant to bash,,,this is getting pretty bad,,,how many other people will be turned off to thru hike because of this man?

######Sloetoe responds:

I think even the fairest minded have to agree that this kind of behavior brings the discussion of WF/TrailPlace OUT from under any "WF-bashing" taint and into an undeniably legitimate concern that, like it or not, one of the standard bearers of the hiking community is broadcasting a clearly negative image.

I know we have our own fashion here to NOT overly discuss Dan Bruce or his annoying habits, preferences, or practices, but as a self-described but media recognized "leader" in the hiking community, he reflects badly on *all* of us in many respects; most obvious being his intolerance for and his intemperance in responding to others' views.

There's a big-ass elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about; we don't care to "waste" list time talking about it; but if the entirety of recent actions (by DB) were known, we'd all recognize the negative impact that we're currently negating. I think "in bad taste" at this point is in keeping quiet.

I, for one, don't look forward to this.
Sloetoe