[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #1494

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:09:02 -0500
> From: Larry G Galyen <plodder@juno.com>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Southern Snow
>
> I read in the paper the other day some unprepared hikers started up Mt.
> Cosby and got caught in snow drifts.  The gal was wearing tennis shoes.
> What idiot would wear tennis shoes hiking in the snow.

Well, this idiot for one!!  I use trail running shoes for all my hiking,
including in the snow. I put some low gaiters on the top to keep loose snow
and chaff out. With mid-weight wool socks my feet stay plenty warm. The
fabric dries much quicker than leather, with the heat from the feet
providing the energy. If the trail gets icy, I strap on some lightweight ice
cleats and motor on. I'll grant you that I would not want to stand still in
drift snow for a couple of hours in my trail runners, but I would not want
to do that in my traditional boots either. With a lightweight pack load and
the sneakers on, my feet never get beaten up and blistered, and feel ready
for more miles at the end of a day.The girl you mention may have been
unprepared, but wearing tennis shoes does not imply that.

Frank