Re: [at-l] Bill Bryson, the NPS & Smokie balds.

Uh Oh, some of you thought when you read this, ohhhh yes, -- I don't really
know where you're coming from, but let me say this about US rednecks:  Bill
B trashed REAL PEOPLE, he trashed a woman who had had a stroke (Mrs Mull's
mother) and called her -- something mean and cruel, I don't own the book --
but it was DISRESPECTFUL and TACKY -- he trashed Franklin, NC.  There are
people I know personally who would like to Trash Him and if he EVER sets
foot in their area, he will wish that he never did.

Bill B is NOT funny.  How about if I make fun of your father who's had a
heart attack and can't use but one arm and talks with a slur and call him
names, make fun of the way he talks and walks and cruelly bring him up for
ridicule, and use his name and the town he lives in so that everyone who
reads my book will know who I'm bullying in print???????  How about if I
also make fun of your wife, who has MS and has to use a wheel chair and give
her name and address out to the public,  call her a 'crip' and say that
she's just taking advantage of the gov'mint cause if she wanted to she could
get out of that chair and get a real job??????

If it was YOUR family and YOUR neigbors, would it be funny????????

Bill B is a SouthernPhobe.  He mocked real people.  He didn't write
caricatures or stereotypes, he wrote about real breathing people and called
their names if he knew it and even gave out the address where they lived.

If you want funny, try Lewis Grizzard or Patrick McManus.

Whatever "good" point that Bill B had, he lost ALL credibility with US
redneck Southerners by the way he showed his ignorance about us.

We're not ALL like the movie Deliverance (which I've never seen) but WE ARE
THE KINDEST PEOPLE THRU HIKERS MEET ON THEIR WAY TO KATAHDIN.  Come into our
towns and we'll treat you well.  We are the area of the Trail Angels.   If
you don't get 'angeled' you'll have missed a trail memory for sure.

And I am not called Highly Opinionated Woman Living In North Georgia WOLF
for nuthin  -- and that was definitely a bark!