[at-l] Re: your mother's chili

> can you share the recipe? it was so yummy. thanks.
>
> aprilmoon

I had a couple of requests, so I'm posting to the list.  (Delete if not interested.)

I have noted the additions that I made to the chili.  [They're shown in "square-end" parentheses -- prize to whomever knows the correct term for these.] ;-)

Moroccan Bean and Vegetable Chili
(cooks in less than 20 minutes with a microwave oven)

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 small yellow or green sweet pepper
   cut into 1/2-inch pieces (equals ~1/2 cup)
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon [freshly ground]
2 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder [I added 4 tsp. more]*
[I added 2 tsp. cumin]*
     [* I roasted these ingredients together in a
      frypan before adding them to the chili mix]
1 16-oz can of tomatoes, cut up, undrained
       [I drained about 1/3 off]
1 15-oz can of great northern, kidney or pinto beans,
  drained [I doubled this too -- using all kidney beans this time, but I love canneloni or garbanzos, too]
1/3 cup raisins
[1 15-oz can of corn, drained]

Top with 1/2 cup of peanuts
[I didn't measure -- you can also mine the gorp bag! 'Betcha sunflower seeds would be good, too; although probably not so "Moroccan" that way!]

Serve over couscous  [I skipped this]

In a 2-quart casserole: combine first 7 [8] ingredients above.  Cover.  Microwave at high for 4 - 6 minutes or until carrots are just tender, stirring once.

Add undrained [partially drained] tomatoes, beans and raisins [and corn].  Cover and cook on high for 5 - 7 minutes more or until heated through, stirring once.

Sprinkle with peanuts and serve over couscous.
[I didn't make the couscous at all for the Ruck -- too much food as it was!]

Makes 4 main-dish servings [at least 5, with my modifications.
.... or 1 serving for a very hungry thru-hiker]

For those interested in the nutritional content
(without my modifications):
Per serving:
Calories:  384
Cals from fat: 10 g
Cholesterol:  0
Protein:  17 g
Carbs:  63 g
Fiber: 11 g
Sodium:  442 g

Calcium:   16% rda
Iron:  23%
Vit A: 135%
Vit C:  55%
Thiamin:  28%
Niacin:  40%

The recipe came from the '93 March issue of Better Homes and Gardens.

I'm going to try this on the trail using dried beans and modifying accordingly.  Hmm, 'wonder who I can get to carry the microwave....?

Enjoy!

Mixup
..is there such a thing as Ruck withdrawal?