[at-l] Bill Bryson, the NPS & Smokie balds.

I've been reading his book, I'm up to the point where he trashes
gattlinburg and sets out to virginia.  Its a real shame that he
decided to skip the rest of the smokies.  So far it's an entertaining
book.  It's obviously not a book about thru hiking the AT.   More
about appalachia in general (he seems to know his flora, fauna and
history)  and hiking for long periods of time.  He has some funny
stories to tell.  I have noticed, tho, that he never tells tales of
the "good" people he meets.  Only the old, rude, irritating, dumb,
redneck, etc.  He seems to make his money on the hard times of life.

Now here's the topic that made me want to write.  He obviously has no
lost love for the nation park service.  In fact I bet he wishes it was
not around.  He spent a few pages bashing their philosophy of letting
nature take it's coarse in the smokies. particularly, with the balds.
I've always accepted this.  I do believe that nature is much smarter
than man will ever be.  and it will still be here after the human race
is extinct.  Well, for at least a few hundred million yrs until the
planet burns up.

anyway, does anyone here have any thoughts on this?  Is it in the best
interest of the Park to let the balds disappear?  Should they make an
attempt to keep them cut so they can continue to exist.  Or, if it is
natures desire, it will find a way?

thanks.

t.