Re: [at-l] Attn Gearheads

It is generally agreed that Western Mountaineering is VERY conservative
with their temperature ratings on sleeping bags. I have used my WM
Iroquois with temperatures in the upper singal digits. Granted, I'm in my
Stephenson 2RSLD (adds a good dozen degrees F), silk bag lliner,
lightweight long johns (pants sometimes come off), VB shirt which really
adds warmth (doesn't always stay on), hat (doesn't always stay on), and
hat. The clothing is what I would use anyway. I just purchased, on
closeout through Outdoor Gear Exchange (I think www.gearx.com), a '98
Feathered Friends sleeping bag cover that should add considerable warmth
to this system. I've no doubt that I would be warm down to temps well
below 0*F. But, I also know I sleep warm.

Generally, people will suggest getting at least a 20*F rated bag. I do
firmly believe that the VB shirt I wear is a BIG help in keeping me warm.
As I said above it is part of my clothing. For example, today was hoving
around freezing and I was wandering around town a lot wearing light long
john pants, REI convertible nylon pants, VB shirt, and Frogg Toggs
jacket. Very warm. I've worn just that down into the low 20's with wind.
As it gets colder I put on a down vest or perhaps a wool sweater.

Keep your trunk warm. that is the big thing to remember. Also, since you
loose a lot of heat from your head and hands find decent glooves and a
hat. I've yet to really find glooves I like. Fleece ones are alright
though. During the day I'd probably wear mitten instead though again I've
had a hard time finding ones I like that don't cost an arm and a leg.

There is a lot more that can be said, but I'm sure others will say it.

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **