Re: [at-l] gear question for the night

There are lots of situations where pepper spray *could* be handy. It is lightweight to carry, and of minimal bulk. I would consider it in the same realm as a compass: actual use is rare, but it's a comfort to know it's there.

On my throughhike, I used my compass once or twice (and *should* have used it three or four times, cough, cough). I also carried pepper spray. Never thought about leaving it behind. Had reason to get it out of the pack (get it "handy") just twice, though I did not have to use it. Oh, and I don't carry a lot of "just in case" stuff — my pack empty of food and water was between 15 and 20 pounds for the majority of my trippie. Oh, and I camped alone easily 100/165 nights; and had two bear encounters, one where a yearling ran *around* me to "escape," leaving me 'tween Mom and offspring.

I think your post expresses a question born of common sense and due caution. I think you're on the right path.
Sloetoe

>>> ejbaker <ejbaker@sover.net> 02/02/00 11:30PM >>>
and I've heard from some thru-hikers that it actually has been an occasional help (though more from angry stray dogs than bears--the few who met possibly angry bears said they were too scared to remember the spray--and it really only works if the wind is in your favor).  And of course, most bear encounters seem to more frightening for the bears than the humans (at least in this part of the country).
			extremely non-violent but not wishing to get eaten,
					EJ