[at-l] Community

>And if we get too chatty or goofy at times, it's because this list is a

Darn straight.  When hiking a trail, do you know how often gear comes up?
Almost nil.

Long distance hikers ARE a community. When thru-hiking in 98, my fellow
thru-hikers and I  played frisbee, made jokes, consoled one another when
times were tough,  discussed our favorite music, remarked on how
beautiful a particular sunset was, and discussed plans for the future.
Think the only time I talked about gear was when my stove caught on fire.
(Glad I already had a trail name!).  In short, kinda like this list. A
community of hikers that do talk about hiking, but also about life.
  If I was to hike the AT and talk about boots and filters vs. iodine,
the lure of backpacking would decrease greatly.

If you have AT and/or hiking questions..ask!  The amount of experience
amongst all of us hikers is quite a resource. Everything from the
logistics of section hiking, to thru-hiking, to trails other than the AT,
to being a support person. In short, if you have a question, I can be
certain that it will be answered.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer cells.
--Edward Abbey