[at-l] grade 5 stuff

i just got my grade 5 jacket.(mountain hardwear). it runs at 12oz not the 11
ounces they say or at least that is what my scale says.  now i want it to
pour rain so i can see how it works out on an extended day hike.  my pack is
shrinking and getting lighter i think in any other situation i would be
upset if i was getting less and less.

it fits very nice and it is bright orange.  the hood does nto tunr as much
as others i have used.  it has some nice chest level mess vent/pockets and
stores into a pocket built on to the jacket. it has full front zip and some
what i think to be VERY large pit zips.  and a bunch of bunge int here to
keep it tight...  it is not long enough to cover your buttock so you might
need to bring pants(i suggest you bring pants all the time i think it is
illegal in some places to be with out) with it to keep your posterer dry.

i find i dislike goretex alot. and i hate ponchos.  evnetually with all
three i will find one i hate less i am sure. heehehe.. i have worn non
breathable jackets before and had no large problem BUT with goretex i found
it was very warm feeling... anyone else have that experience with
goretex.... it seems partially insualtory and made it for a horrid feeling
in warm(not hot) weather.  jsut warm enough so you can be outside with
little clothing but need to be dry to be "comfortable".  it was interesting.

anyway with goretex i found when i stopped i was dry from rain but drecnched
with sweat anyway.  so why am i carring aroudn the extra weight of goretex?
it is 2 layer not 3 layer goretex if that maters.....  it was curious..
maybe i was doing something wrong?  but right now i take the opinion that
goretex is some stuff that people use to make a 100 dollar piece of clothing
magically raise up to 1000 dollars.  and it does nto evaporate as much as
they might lead you to belive.   however they say they are coming out with
gorelite or somesuch stuff that will "breath better" and "be lighter"

the upsetting thing is my goretex jacket was on sale and i got it for less
than my grade 5.. i think i will use the goretex sking this weekend (i am
sking for the first time it shoudl be interesting.)  it is more "bomb proof"
than anything else i own and my normal (non hiking) jacket is duck cotton
which collects snow like lint to velcro

Wisperlight