Re: [at-l] aaarrgh!!!!!!!

>>The airlines simply do not want the fuel. Empty fuel bottles, or bottles
>>filled with alcohol or water are acceptable. An empty stove without fuel
>>is no hazard. <<

Unfortunately you can't count on anything. When Appalachian Jonny flew out
to Washington to join me on the PCT, he emptied his stove and fuel bottle
before he got to the airport. Even so they refused to let him on with them.
They even threatened to call in the Haz Mat people to have the suspicious
items in question removed. He ended up having to leave them behind and buy a
whole new stove in Seattle on his way to the trailhead. There was no time to
mail it. I had never seen him so furious. In addition, the new one promptly
failed the first night out and we had to share mine the rest of the way to
Canada. He got a refund.

I hear this was an isolated incident, but it serves as a good reminder that
we should be cautious in what we assume.

wc