[at-l] Slim's Ruck Reminiscing

Hi,
Hope ya'll made it back home safely after the big 10" snowstorm.  We had the
fireplace going and the popcorn for our Super Bowl friends. Where were you?
When I left at 6:30 pm Saturday, I walked on the the black ice of the roads
with the aid of my two nearly identical twins, left Leki and right Leki.  I
had about a quarter mile to get to my car since the closest areas were
parked full with fellow Ruckers.  In the dark night I walked all alone to
the last parking lot thinking of all the good friends I left at the Hostel.
My thoughts kept me warm.  How memorable to be at a place, if only for a few
hours, among hiking friends.  I loved seeing friends from last year's Ruck,
Mountain Roamer and her cousin Dan and Pittsy, and Nancy, and Felix and
Pokey, Mara, Paula, Sloetoe, Ginny and Jim and the couple from Ohio who
demonstrated their dehydrated foods. And I can't forget the couple from
Georgia of which team the lady was from Germany.  And a big thank you to the
guy who loaned me a quarter.   And to all the Ruckers for being there. (I'm
terrible with names, so please forgive me).  And of course Earl Shaffer.
He's "The Man."  And thanks to John Shaffer & wife, fellow Yorkers, who
watch over the "Solo Expedition".  I only spent a few hours there from 2 to
6:30 but the memories are forever. I love Pine Grove Furnace SP.  My dad
spent all his summers there as a child and when he had a family he took his
children there to spend the summers (lucky me).  I love the sights, the
smells and the sounds of that area.  Pine Grove has changed very little
since I was a child; but it has changed me forever.  Its like coming home
each time I visit, which is at least once a week.  "You know if I left this
earth at this moment this is the place from which I'd want to launch."
Thanks friends for embedding sweet memories in my heart, friends,
SLIM
reply to SLIM at  bogey1@cplx.net