[at-l] And yet more Ruck

Well now, where was I.....Saturday!
Must admit that the schedule did start to break down a bit, but then a
schedule is sort of un Rucky so no bigee.  We never did get around to
twisting Earl's arm but he got there early and stayed late so anyone who
wanted could grab a chair at Earl's corner table and yak and listen to
their hearts desire. what could be better!  I think Earl loves the Ruck and
for sure the Rucksters love having him there.  Same goes for his sister
(or sister in law?) and dang my memory again, if I ever knew her name, I've
lost it.

We were yakking in the kitchen when we suddenly spied an interesting pie shaped
foil packet on the counter......hmmmm.  Like kiddies at Christmas, we peaked
under the foil and saw what has to be the most perfectly gorgeous berry pie in
the world!  I mean Gourmet magazine cover gorgeous.  It took the greatest
resolve
possible to not poke a finger to settle the argument about the berry in
question.
Turns out it was a mixed berry and I almost missed even a taste of this
tart wonder.
Note to self....hesitate and thou goest pieless.  Not so for the DWG
pie....yum!

Well then came the auction and I have to admit that part is a bit of a
blur!  Thank goodness
for Navigator and Sandpiper, (The Pie Godess) for keeping a good
record!  What started
as an idea to sell a couple pieces of used gear for bargain prices turned
out to be the
most unbelievable show of generosity I could ever imagine.  I mean we
actually sold
a book with a broken binding with it's pages falling out!  But beyond that,
it was a hoot!
I've worked at auctions before and they are often a tense and dour affairs
but not this
one!  A better tribute to the Place and the good times so many of us have
had there
couldn't have been scripted by hollywood.  It did go a bit long though and
i heard the
restless stirring of projected chili tasters.

The Chili Contest was a bit of a problem....rather than the expected half
dozen entries,
there were thirteen pots to ponder.  Definitely tied up the kitchen and
delayed the serving
of the main course.  LOL!  But everyone exhibited extra patience and only
the call that
"Earl's hungry and he don't eat chili" brought a halt to the judging
<vvvbg>.  Ya'll
already know that Sly, the Good Stuff Guy was the winner but you might not
know it
was a runaway with Sly getting more votes than the runnersups combined!  It
might
have been even worse if his chili hadn't been all gone by half way thru the
voting!  Me
thinks some folks were taking extra tastes just to make sure <g>.
The Raffles were next and the results have been posted and corrected
<g>.  Earl picked
the winner's so there'd be no hanky panky <g>.  I'll tell you a bit of a
secret.  Earl
is a HAM at heart!

The slide shows started and again I was late to the gate.  Note to
self....get a watch
with an alarm.....errrrr.....make that a vibrating alert <g>.  There was
some thought
by some unnamed hikers clustered in the telephone room that we ought to go
up to the vid
room and pick a random hiker and tell them they were wanted on the phone
and as they
left to find out what disaster hit at home, we could snatch their seat but
other than a
Blister Sister, no one tried it.  Let me tell you something, a Blister
Sister can't lie worth a
darn.  Such open an honest faces could never pull it off.  BTW....these two
are the
original Blister Sisters and are actually sisters and really nice to boot!

I will end this soon......