Re: [at-l] Handouts For The Ruck

>>> Scott Hoffman <shoffman@redrose.net> 01/31/00 04:17PM >>>
Just before the auction, we were all given a handout on our comments for
this Ruck. I forgot to hand mine in..oops! (Does this mean that I have
to haul Kathley, Navigator and John's gear up Blood Mt. next time? :)
Is there plans to post the handout on the list or elsewhere so that
everyone can know what all everyone thought of it?

Mother Natures Son

########Sloetoe fills in (I remember mine by heart) with
1) Location for Next Ruck?
IronMasters                       Bear's Den                          Harpers Ferry

***I have no idea. 2 out of 3 I've not been to.

2)Your thoughts on IronMasters Accomodations?
***The limited number of bathrooms (toilets AND showers) sucks.
***The drafty, mostly cold temps suck.
***It's a wonderful place in a wonderful setting at a marvelous location, AT-wise.

3) Your thoughts on Presentations?
***Only saw JohnO/MConnick's Lite Waist (!) presentation. Fun, informative, just the right size. Good questions from audience (besides my, um, jocularity.

4) Your thoughts on DayHike?
***WHAT day hike??? I remain bummed "we" as a mass group, didn't go invade the trails.

5) Your thoughts on Raffle?
***With my luck in the Mellencamp/Aronoff corner, I kick myself for not buying into the other raffle.

6) Your thoughts on the Auction?
***What a hoot. And great stuff, generously donated, and generously bid to.

7) Your thoughts on Food?
***Though imperfect, I thought this year's food arrangements provided well for all. I appreciated the ease of the ad lib arrangements on all Ruck-goers. (Rucksters?)(Ruckers?) I would urge great caution in attempting to fix 1) coffee provisions, 2) the abandonment of foods and even dishes at the hostel. I know WoodElf and Chase can address this in more detail, but the kitchen (floors, shelves, refridgerators, freezer) remained PACKED with food at Sunday noon. No humor here. (One simple solution might be to remind people that it would NOT BE IMPOLITE to reclaim uneaten food contributed to the Ruck.) But again, let's not OVERfix.

8) Your thoughts on where donations should go for next Ruck?
***Easy. Let's wait for next year's Ruck, and make sure we 1) want to continue the new gift-giving bent, and 2) insure that our contribution is timely and needed. I'd hate to have something so special become "a solution looking for a problem" like so many other good things.

9) What changes would you wish to see at next Ruck?
***Dollar recognition (by the venue) of the fact that we are a GREAT crowd hitting a hostel in the DEAD of winter.
***Dollar recognition (by the venue) of the fact the men and women (both) did a heap too much socializing while WAITING FOR POTTY TIME. Our time and patience (and foregoing of certain hygeine activities) should be worth something. Maybe the venue might donate to our "cause;" maybe our price might be cut (in HALF. I mean it.)
***Name tags were GREAT.
***Music. (Though the thought of raising the volume in there......)
***Stove contest needed a few tweaks, like being announced.
***Chili contest had too many entries for a single sampling (more than most people could manage). I'd recommend a two-tier taste-off, if we repeat. Also, I overheard some complaints regarding the too-close proximity of the chili with the rest of the evening's food timing. Tweaks, sure, but I thought I'd bring 'em up.
***"Quiet hours" in the common areas, both sleeping and dining. We're way too squeezed for space AND time otherwise.
***Repeats of slideshows, etc?? Exactly when? Does ANYBODY get to sleep? Larry Luxumburgh was there Saturday afternoon, and I had no idea. At least I got to visit with Earl's sister. She's a hoot.
***Working hot tub. Or a rebate. Dang!
***Better weather. (No, forget I said that.)

10) Would you be willing to participate in the planning and running of next year's Ruck?
***Willing? Sure! Able? Tha's touch and go. Ask me next fall.

Please put all complaints in the box provided.     []

And a hand for Kahley, Navigator, and JohnO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major major major major clapping and stomping and hooting and whistles.