[at-l] Trip Report - Torreya Trail

Just got back from Torreya State Park by Bristol, Florida. The original half
of the park is just as good (maybe better) than the new half. I had business
enroute in Panama City which went overtime.

We arrived at Torreya about 5:15 EST with a sunset around sixish. Overcast
and cold, it was not looking good. David was already there (he had hiked in
earlier in the day) so after looking unsuccessfully for the Ranger to check
in we parked next to him and headed out.

Trailhead at 5:45, mmm, mmm, not good. Made it to the river bluffs after
only fifteen minutes, but there is still a mile and a quarter to go. For
those of you who don't already know, this place is every bit as steep as the
AT. Even though it only goes up and down 150 to 200 feet at a time, it is
every bit as hard.

A mile and a quarter before 6:30 ( when I optimistically expected it to be
too dark to see). At 6:20 we are at least a mile down the trail I think. I t
is hard to tell because we have been chugging up and down dells and grottoes
the whole way. We are both breathing hard even though we are only lightly
loaded.

At 6:30 we hit the river again. I know we are close now but I can no longer
make out the blazes on the trees. The path is simply a slightly less dark
line through the darkness, but there is a sign at the bluff next to the
river: "Primitive Camping Area". It points to a steep cut ascending the
bluff. The limestone poking out of the leaves look like highway markers. We
begin to climb the bluff.

We are on top of the bluff by 6:40 and I can make out an occasional glimmer
through the trees ahead. It is less than 40 degrees out but we are both
steaming, I have long since put away the wool shirt and went to my poly
undershirt. Dave is there, trying to keep a campfire going with wet wood and
he is glad to see us. (We were glad to see him too!)

After a supper of red beans and rice with sausage we hit the sack. I began
discovering hitchhikers in my sleeping bag within minutes. Never did find
out what they were other than they went "crunch" as I threw them out. around
4:30 in the morning it began to rain...and thunder...and it is in the
thirties outside! Jeez, give us a break!

Did I mention that the nearest potable looking water was a quarter mile back
across one of these "mountains"? At six  a.m. David and I loaded Killian's
pack up with empty water bottles, bladders and water filters and headed off
in the cold rain to get water for breakfast. We get to the stream and
David's filter immediately quits (actually, it never even started, what do
you call that?). Knowing the level of sand in the water, we both cross our
fingers and hope mine lasts long enough to pump enough water for all three
of us. We get five liters before mine dies too. Off back to camp!

The rest of the day went better. The rain quit before we got back, Killian
was just waking and we ate and broke camp. After a leisurely 3 hour stroll
around the south side of the trail we arrive back at our vehicles and head
home...in the rain again!

All in all, it was (of course) a great hike!

Lee I Joe
"They make a desert and call it peace."
                                            Tacitus