Re: [at-l] why do i hike (i just got around to thinking it through) (i even ran a spell check through some of it)

At 01:49 AM 1/28/00 -0500, Wisperlight wrote:

>..clip..the 60 miles is real to me . there is something more to the real
>substance in life.  art is for the artist.  for a true artist art is the
>substance of life and i don't understand that. but i dont need to casue i am
>not an artist

Well Wisperlite I am an artist (or at least fancy myself to be one) and if
you're talking about the academic/gallery art crowd you are right to say is
is for the artist but I don't work like that. I go out and see things in
the landscape that move me and I create works in an effort to share that
feeling to whatever extent I can. I guess it's a given that in any field of
endeavor, whether hiking, art or whatever, there are some folks who are so
focused on themselves that they see the world in terms of ME, ME, ME. My
measure of good art is how much the artist left his/her ego out of it and
how much he/she tried to present the viewer with a gift of insight and beauty.

>sorry for the long post but i am in a thoughtful type mood.
>
>i hate sendign these things out i am always afraid they sound stupid. maybe
>i did not think it all the way through maybe i slipped up somewhere but
>sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and jump in.

No apology required. Hiking and art are both thoughtful processes.

Saunterer