[at-l] Setting up a tent in a shelter

Tom Fort asked "Why set up in a shelter?  what do you gain?"

First of all, let me say that I have never done this.  However, at
Overmountain Shelter there were several in a party of about 8-10 who did the
night I stayed there.  It was not a question of space, though, since that
shelter will hold about 80+ people if necessary and they had plenty of room.

Reasons why some people do this:

1.  It provides more warmth, especially from a cold wind blowing straight in
the opening of the shelter.

2.  You don't have to pack up a wet tent if it is snowing and/or raining
outside.

3.  It protects you from bugs and mice.

4.  It is often more level than any area you can find in the immediate
vicinity of the shelter.

5.  It provides more privacy (if you are concerned about that sort of thing)
when you want to change out of your wet, cold clothes.