[at-l] Trangia convert/Raingear

Yes I'm still swapping stuff out even in this late stage.  I was using a
Zip stove but after using it a couple of times it just wasnt fun anymore.
Dont get me wrong it worked just as well as its supposed to.  It just wasnt
fun to use, it got to be too much like work. (hey I'm retired)  This has
been knawing at me for a few weeks now

Before I found out about a zip stove I had been looking at using the
Trangia alcohol stove.  Yesterday I drove into town and bought one.  Man
talk about simple! Something this small and compact that works so easily
and efficiently, hey thats my kinda gear.  Its so simple its fun.
And I know you guys are going to do the big stove shoot out in a few days,
and I'm eagerly waiting to see the results.  But I aint real worried about
how long it takes this thing to boil water.  In less than 10 minutes it had
my Ramon & turkey so damn hot I had to wait 10 minutes to eat it.  So less
time was actually needed to make my meal. Actually my turkey had gotten so
cold it took me a little while to crumble it up to add to the pot.

Rain gear section.

Personally I prefer the poncho, but the guy said he wanted to be dryer, and
I can understand this cause sometimes the poncho can leave a lot to be
desired in the way of dryness for the bottom parts of your body.  So to fix
that I use a pair of nylon rain pants.  I havent had a problem of my legs
sweating under the nylon as long as my upper body is cool and ventilated,
which is easy to accomplish under the poncho.  With this combo I stay
totally dry inside and out.

If your in the market for a poncho I would recommend the military surplus
type.  I just got the Campmor over the pack poncho and while it is
serviceable I dont like it.  If your 6 ft or close to it this poncho is not
wide enough  and there is only one snap on the side which is located in the
wrong place if your wearing it over a pack. I'm going to add snaps to it
myself.  It also has a white lining! I will give it credit for this though,
one hard shake and its totally dry, this sucker doesnt hold a drop of
water.  So you can come right inside without dripping water all over the
place, from the poncho anyway.  But for versatility and long term
durability I think you'll be much happier with a military surplus type, and
they are large enough to also fit over a pack.

As always YMMV

Mark