Re: [at-l] bivies

> And from what I've read in various Journals, most people coming in at 11
PM
> are good about it, quiet, etc, but then there are stories that abound
about
> really ObNoXiOuS backpackers who wake everyone up when they get in --
> > Stories anyone?> Coosa

I have a story. We were in the Smokies. We were all bedded down,,end to end.
Just before dark this guy comes into the shelter and announced that he had
two permits for shelter space and that he might just use both! The people on
the bottom "offered" to "let" him slide in and nest next to them. He said
that would be ok and then proceeded to tell everyone in the shelter in a
very loud voice that he had hiked the entire AT the correct way from Maine
to Georgia in the 70's. He continued to inform us that we weren't hiking the
"right" way and began to give free advice on how to hike the "right" way. He
went outside around the corner,,set up his cooking gear and played his radio
(loudly) while he cooked and ate. He then came back into the shelter (most
people trying to sleep at this time) and proceeded to lecture us on how to
hike again. Needless to say,,he didn't make many friends that night. Would
it be camper friendly like to offer someone else your bivy or tent if they
would sleep outside? KC