[at-l] going on a thru hike

Hey folks,

Just wanted to let my list friends know that I was okayed by my thorasic
surgeon to hike this year! I have been biting my nails at what possibly was
going to happen to me.

What occurred that I was having problems with my feet and ankles and lower
shins while walking. I thought I had a heel spur and went to a podiatrist
thinking that I had heel spurs and could just get shots or something. He sent
me to MD who sent me to get tests. What was discovered was a narrowing of
some arteries in my legs and I was experiencing something called claudication
in my muscles. I have no heart problems and do not have high blood pressure
or anything like that. I am only 43 and am not overweight. This has entirely
been caused by my smoking cigarettes. I was told that if I did not stop
smoking, I would lose both feet within 20 years.

My thorasic surgeon gave me some information about cigarette smoking that I
would like to share with list. Apparently, more people lose their feet to
smoking then any other reason. It does not matter how much exercize you get.
He stated that perhaps, if the antismoking advertisers would stress that it
is not just lung cancer and emphysema that people get from cigarettes.
Smoking causes a disease that reduces or eliminates the ability to walk, even
in extremely healthy people.

Anyhow, I am taking an aspirin per day and will start taking a drug to reduce
the pain of the claudication. Monday, after the Ruck, I start on my stopping
smoking program.  It includes Zyban, accupuncture treatments, altoid candies
(for the menthol craving), a herbalite tea to help increase the
detoxification of the body, and the patch. I advise everyone on the list who
smokes and loves to walk to call a thorasic surgeon and ask them what smoking
does to the veins.

The good news is that my doctor says that if I don't smoke and hike to Maine,
I may come off the trail with no problem at all.

    Bpwildness