Re: [at-l] Socks

There's no excellent answer on this one. Your best bet is to field-test a few
different types and find out what works for you. I know a lot of people swear
by Thorlos, but lately I've been swearing AT them...they're heavy, they make
my feet sweat worse, so I either have to change socks mid-hike or suffer with
"rug-burn" on my soles-- hot spots that don't go away for days. But, that
said, I rarely blister with Thorlos. I've tried Fox River woolies and they're
very constricting around the toes, not good for long distance--for me. I've
just picked up a pair of Smartwools to try on the next trip, see how they
treat my feet.

I wear these with Vasque Alphas, BTW-- and I've actually had great success
just hiking with liner socks! That's day hiking, though. Here in FL, even
these lightweight boots (I love 'em for the AT & the mountains in general)
are overkill. Got a pair of Montrail trail runners on clearance, will test
'em out to see how they do on the soft sands that serve as trails down here
(when the trail isn't swamp, that is).

Cheers, Navigator
http://members.aol.com/atnavi