[at-l] AT in TN

>>Well, I went to Tennessee, and walked away STILL having never seen the
>>Appalachian Trail. I'm so bummed. We got out there on Thursday, and on
>>Friday Knoxville got dumped on with their first snow since 1993. So,
the
>>entire CITY shut down!! (Being a Colorado-native, I couldn't believe
the
>>entire CITY shut down!!) And, apparently they closed the road to
>>Newfound
>>Gap.

Yeah, that's what a few inches of snow will do to my lovely hometown of
Knoxville.....As one who is used to heavy snowfall (I lived in Erie, PA
for 7 years), this snow was nothing but as with most of the east coast,
it tends to shut a city down.....However, Newfound Gap road has been
closed since Wedsneday night as the Smokies tend to get more sonw than
the valley.....And I think it is for the better to have it shut
down.....I've been up on that road with snow and found out that
mountains, snow, and people who aren't used to driving in snow, make for
a bad mess.....It was literally a zoo with people (and it was crowded)
slipping all over that place.....

However, if you really wanted to see the AT in Tennessee, you could have
traveled down I 40 and gotten off at the Waterville exit, where the trail
passes under the interstate....To the east the trail goes over the
bridge, up the road a little, and up some stairs...To the west the trail
climbs a small hill and makes it's way to Davenport Gap......Or if you
wanted to stay in the car to see the trail, the bridge over Pigeon River
has white blazes on it......

Kevin Umberger

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.