Re: [at-l] Before You Leave for the RUCK

Al,

The following would be my recommendations:

Shoes: Nike 801 Trail Running Shoes
Why:  Comfort, light weight, durability, dry quickly when wet.  I'll never go
back to boots for three season hiking
Socks:  Smartwool
Why: Superior durability, comfort.  They wick moister well, and will keep
your feet warm even when wet
Shorts: Nike Cool Max nylon
Why: Comfort, light weight, dry quickly when wet, very little chafing -- but
any light weight nylon shorts will do
Windpants: Nike (breathable)
Why: Cost, comfort, provide additional warmth and protection from the wind
when temperatures fall below 40.  For me, non breathable nylon is too hot!
Long underwear:  Polypro
Why:  Additional warmth -- usually too warm to wear while hiking unless
temperatures fall below freezing -- there are many synthetics available on
the market, and most will do
T-shirt: Nike Cool Max nylon
Why:  Comfort, light weight, superior wicking ability.  Again, there are many
types of synthetic materials, and most are satisfactory
Fleece jacket:  Polar Tech 100wt
Why: Light weight, wicking ability. Provides excellent warmth when combined
with  light weight nylon shell.  200wt Polar Tech would be better for weather
below 40 degrees.  I usually wear a nylon shell over my T-shirt for cooler
weather (below 40 degrees) and save the fleece for colder/windy conditions
Nylon Shell:  Patagonia or Nike
Why:  Protection from wind and light rain.  The combination of a synthetic
T-shirt with a fleece jacket and nylon shell provides excellent protection
from the wind.
Poncho: Campmore
Why: Multiple uses and protection from heavy rain
Hat: Baseball cap
Why:  Protection from sun/rain.  Mine is cotton, but nylon would be better.
During warm weather I wear a cotton bandana instead of a hat.
Gloves:  Mountain Hardware Fleece
Why:  Protection from cold/wind/rain.  Something heavier is needed for temps
constantly below freezing.

Al,  this clothing list works well for me.  Keep in mind that when you stop
hiking your body will cool rapidly.  My clothing list is designed for someone
thats going to walk all day, and then seek the warmth of shelter.  Good luck.

mudrock